Monday, April 21, 2008

Later Night Update

Without trying to get the last word on Kim for the day...I would never do that would I??? I thought I would post a short blog since it has been a few days, and it is 11:30 and I have recently become quite accustomed to less than 4 hours of sleep. Like Kim said today was a good day. We have a small video that we took of Dylan riding in the wagon that I was going to post but I left the camera at the hospital. Stay tuned for that tommorow.
It is incredible to see how fast Dylan is recovering, I spent some time with my coworkers today and I said this to them as well. Right now is the best and worst time of our little "challenge". The best because Dylan is improving so quickly and we can see his progress, and the worst because he still has so much further to go. When he is wrapped up in his blanket you almost forget that he is sitting in the PICU instead of on the floor in front of the TV watching his movies before bed time. When we took him outside today in the wagon I made the bad joke that we should make a run for the truck and sell the incredibly expensive wound vac machine he is hooked up to on Ebay. It was funny in my head at least.

Like Kim said he had a special visitor today, his good friend Julie. Just to clarify, Julie watched Dylan for us while Emily had cheeleading, another words she was much much more than an occasional babysitter. She starting helping us with Dylan before he was walking and has watched him grow like most of us have. We have been so lucky to have her become part of our family. A couple days after the accident happened I was on the phone with my mom and she asked if Julie had came to see him...at that point I realized that we had not even let her know yet. I was truly scared for her to hear the news because I know how much she loves her "Mooshy". She spent about an hour with us in the room today and her love of Dylan was as obvious as ever. She was feeding Dylan strawberries and playing with the Lightning McQueen car she brought for him, she gets full credit for being the only person that has made Dylan smile for the last 6 days. Thanks Julie. We truly appreciate everything you have done for our family. If anyone out there is planning on moving to West Palm Beach this Fall...we have her number!!! We will miss you Julie.

I better sign off for the night, the girls are pulling the night shift tonight because I had to come home to get some work done and I have a conference call in the morning. In case anyone is curious I am EXTREMELY fortunate when it comes to my work, I have been traveling a lot lately for work (read previous post below regarding Portland) which has been difficult for Emily at times (besides the infamous April 16, 2008 date). Now I suppose we get to have some of the indirect benefits of this because I have a great deal of flexibilty to work from places other than an office. I am fully aware that most people do not have this luxury or have as understanding of bosses that I do that say "work will go on...take care of your family". Although I am still not quite sure how people functioned without Blackberries and wireless internet access. Thanks again to everyone who has been there for us during this time.

-Brandon

6 comments:

Scrap Happy said...

Great to hear that Dylan is getting to experience more than just laying in bed. I love you guys.

Kim Rose said...

I was so happy to hear that Julie was there. We need pics! We will wait for the video!

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that Dylan is smiling and happy again! I hope he likes the little stuffed dog I brought him.

Terri said...

Thanks Julie for making him smile. I asked Brandon just a day or so ago if he had...when he said no I was sad...but now... that is indeed another step to recovery...his precious and absolute cutiest smile.
Thanks for your post Brandon.
I LOVE YOU!
Mom

the-olson-clan said...

Brandon-
I am glad to read that you are hanging in there. I watched my sister and brother-in-law spend three months at the hospital while their twins were in the NICU in SLC. It's gotta be hard on you guys. Take care of yourself so you can be strong for little Dylan! We are glad to hear that he is doing better everyday!
-heather

Sandi said...

Brandon, I don't know Julie, but I can tell I love her :-). Thanks for being so strong in all of this and thanks to your company, that is so awesome. My personal opinion is that you are the kind of employee they can trust or you wouldn't get such treatment.