Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Dylan's Day

Hello Everyone. Emily here. Katie and I just got home to take the night shift in a comfy bed. We are going on about 4 hours of sleep. AH! Brandon is at the hospital with Dylan. Thank goodness for movies and PSP's. Well, where do I start on today...

Dylan had a rough night. He really didn't sleep all that well. He would wake up every couple of hours. I know he was tired, but had a hard time falling asleep. Poor guy is uncomfortable with all the wires hanging from him, the bandages, the cast, and of course the pain. To top off the bad night, our nurse today was horrible!!!!! The first bad one we have had...I guess that is pretty good considering...but she was just so short. I understand that I may be a little over-protective and asking LOTS of questions, but DUH, what does she expect. I had to leave the hospital before I did something to get myself escorted out. Patience patience patience.

Thankfully, this evening Dylan was moved from the ICU to the Peds floor and we have a new nurse. I was very nervous for him to move from the ICU because the ratio of care is 4 to 1, but I do think it will be okay. It is a great sign that he is improving.

My hope is for a good night and better day tomorrow. He goes into general surgery tomorrow for his dressing change. They will but him under and may or may not have to intibate him. He also may have to have some skin grafting touch up. PRAY that he won't. That is our hope and prayer!

Oh, one good thing about today was that he finally got to see Abby, his DA DA. As most of you know, Abby and Dylan really are the best of friends. They do everything together. Abby eats Dylan's food, Dylan feeds Abby his food, Abby licks Dylan all over, Dylan chases Abby with the broom. They are buds!! Abby has been having a VERY hard time this week. She has had diarrhea and has not been sleeping. She is a very intuitive dog and knows that her baby is not here. This afternoon, when were home for a bit, someone came to the door and I have never heard her growl so meanly. She became very protective when Dylan was born, but man, if I was an intruder and heard that growl, I would RUN! Anyway, we were able to bring Abby to the hospital today. Dylan got to take a ride in a wagon and come outside. When he saw Abby his little face just lit up! Abby licked his face and wanted so badly to jump in the wagon with him. It was quite the exciting reunion! Soon they will be running outside tormenting each other!

Again, I hope you all know how very much Brandon and I appreciate the thoughts and prayers, meals and snacks, visits and flowers. We are overwhelmed with amount of love that has been shown to our little family.

Continue to pray for Dylan and his recovery.

OH, one more thing. One thing that has always calmed me is music. I am so amazed by its power. Grandma Stephen's cousin mentioned the song "Beutiful Boy" by John Lennon. Wow, it is powerful! I just added it.

To my beautiful boy Dylan, close your eyes, the monsters are gone. Mommy and Daddy are here and we love you more than you will every know. Dylan, you're my best buddy. We are best friends. We will be playing soon and Mommy will take you home just as soon as I can. I love you dear baby boy!

Lots of love!

Emily

14 comments:

Amy said...

Em that is so sweet you make me cry every time. I have worked in a hospital before and you have to be an assertive parent or there are nurses and doctors that will walk all over you so don't feel bad about it at all. Hope his surgery goes well and once again you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Kim Rose said...

Emily... don't forget that I hold the family record for being "escorted" from situations. I am more then willing to come down and assist if this nurse does not shape up!
We are waiting for pics!
Call me if you want tonight.. I am still up. Jen said you were going to bed so I won't bother you. But if you check messages and want to chat... I am here... you are there... where are you... (Katie remembers this movie line)

oxoxoxoxox

Mason Family said...

Em...Not sure it I have told you lately how amazing I think you are. I admire and love you more everyday. Kiss that beautiful boy for me! Love you.

Terri said...

ahh sweet reunion with pup and babe. Thanks for the update. I will be praying for great news in surgery. You and Brandon are doing a great job at being STRONG. I will call tomarrow. I am shooting for two weeks for my stay and the planning is in the stages now. Give Brandon a hug for me and Dylan loads of kisses. Big hugs to you Em. Love, MOM

Terri said...

p.s.s.
Branodn says he has video from his wagon ride yesterday the 22nd. :)
Mom

Anonymous said...

Yay! He's out of the ICU and into the Peds, next stop, HOME!

Ashlee said...

Hooray that progress is being made! Won't it be a happy day when Dylan comes home? I can't wait to read that post!

Sandi said...

I can't wait to see Dylan this evening. I bet taking him in a wagon ride was awesome. Would love to have witnessed that sweet reunion. You guys are so kewl. He will be in my prayers all day today.

Chy said...

It's AMAZING what a dog can do for a child...COMFORT! I was the EXACT same way when I was little. Me and my Pup! Well I am addicted to checking your blog and I'm glad things are looking up! We are still thinking od you. Chy

Anonymous said...

girrrl, which nurse?? remember my mom used to be a physician in the peds ICU there (did annie [the new attedning physician] mention my mom called down there and specifically instructed them to give you guys extra TLC cuz you were my friend!)...so if need be, i will have her regulate the situation!!...doesnt sound like extra TLC to me! GOSH! You know i will! =]

This is great news mom! See you tonight!

Carling Family said...

It is great to hear that he is out of the ICU. I am so glad he got to see his puppy. I am sure that made all his pain go away when he was spending time with her. Emily I know how strong you are, I bet that nurse did not get very far with you. I am glad you are standing up for Dylan to get the care he deserves. We will keep praying for Dylan!

Scrap Happy said...

Whew - glad he is out of ICU too, can't wait to see him...

Carlos said...

A note from Nick's dad:

I had a ward member who has been praying fervently for this little guy and she asked me how "our boy" was doing. She, like a million others have taken ownership of their little prayer-corner of the universe and they are holding constant vigil in earnest petitions to the Lord that "our boy" will recover and that all of the hands and hearts that touch the matter will do the same. Family, you have no idea how many other little families and individuals are doing their part in prayer. I know people at work that attend a variety of other churches and faith groups doing the same. These are times that we all pull in the same direction and we lose all thought of our own issues to focus on this little one.
Be of good cheer! Where there is hope there is light. And, there is a lot of hope. He will "wrassle" with his Dad and the dog yet...

Natalie said...

Thank you to everyone for praying for Dylan~ It's so amazing that there is so many people that care! We love you Em!!
Call me K.)