Okay, I love to blog, but have felt like I needed something new to chat about. My friend Amy does a really cute thing called Flashback Friday. Basically, each Friday, she flashes back to something...anything that fits her fancy and writes about it. I decided I wanted to steal the idea and hopefully people will enjoy reading about my past life and experiences as much as I have enjoyed reading about hers. Feel free to join in on this fun blogging idea and flash back so I can read all about you!
So, here I go!
My 14-year-old twin nephews, Teagan and Michael, are in town visiting. I absolutely, 100% adore these boys! Although, sadly, they are no longer boys but are young men. They have been growing up for a while now, but I feel this year, as they enter into their FRESHMAN year, they have really changed. For the good of course. They are so grown up and mature. They obviously are WAY into girls (duh), sports, hate to do chores, want to hang with friends at all times and can eat an entire pizza with no problem! I am flattered that with all the things they have going on in their lives, they will still make time for their old Aunt Emmy!
Anyway, having them here has made me think about what I was doing my Freshman year of high school. Of course that summer we went to Lake Powell. I was best friends with Alison Garn and she came with us! I love Lake Powell and have SO many wonderful memories there!!
I was head-over-heals in love with my boyfriend and thought we were going to get married. Seriously, I was so dorky!!
My birthday always landed on the 2nd or 3rd day of school and I remember having the BEST party ever! It was my first boy/girl party since I was turning 14 (I was really young for my grade). Tons of my friends and I went to the sand dunes and went swimming at this water hole place. We then went back to my parents to hot tub and play night games. My mom made tons of food and was really cool. I remember that Mossimo (yes, the brand that they now sell at Target...it was the Holister of my day) was the way hot brand at the time and my friends got me a really cute shirt that I of course thought was awesome!
The first year of high school was so exciting. I was so proud to be a Hillcrest Knight and felt so grown up! I was really sad though because I didn't make cheerleader that year. I still say that the judges were a complete hoax and picked this one girl just because she looked like Annie! I made a goal to work really hard for next year and make Varsity...I did! : )
Anyway, I spent a lot of time with my boyfriend, my friends, at Varsity games and just hanging out.
I also spent a lot of time with my older sisters and babysat to earn some mula.
I can't believe how time flies and how much times have changed. I didn't have a cell phone in 9th grade...what were cell phones!? We didn't chat on the Internet or have to hear about rising gas prices and heightened security at the airport. I really do feel for young kids these days and know that I can't understand the pressure they feel. Kudos to all you parents out there that work so hard to teach your children values.
Anyway, that is my flashback for this Friday! What is yours?
Friday, July 11, 2008
Flashback Friday!
Posted by Stephens Family at 1:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
Shaken, not blended. Got it. The whole cheerleader thing was a complete hoax. I have an idea of someone in my head who DEFINATLY shouldn't have made it, but she didn't look like Annie. I was also completely heart broken that year, but looking back it's like, DUH! You should have made it, though. Really they should have made it a bigger squad. There were a few girls that were awesome that didn't make it. Whatever...
So, did you like being the youngest, or do you wish your parents would have held you back? I'm really torn. Jordyn's bday is Aug 30th and the dead line is Sept.1st. And Trason's is Aug 18th. Trason I'll probably hold back just because he's a boy. Jordy has been a really hard decision for me. I'm leaning towards holding her back just to ease the headache of dating and driving that I know will come. Any thoughts?
Ps. Does Dylan like his contraban? (I have no idea if I spelled that right!)
Emily, that is a kewl blog. You can now officially say your remember when... (no cell phones, no internet chat, no airport stuff) Your children will never believe it. Are you back in town?
I love this idea! I will join you but maybe next week I'm a posting fool latley! I actually think I went to your parents house for the hot tub part or maybe that was later in high school but I do remember going to your parents house and a hot tub?!? Who knows:) I totally remember Mossimo, Yaga, long hair split down the middle, oh and also head banging at school dances... ouch! Ahh the good old days!
This is a fun idea. I will have to steal it too or maybe I will just come up with some original thing??? Back in my day( 1996)the Internet was only for rich people and companies. I never got it until 2003....crazy. Can't live without it now. Glad you and the "freshman" are having fun.
Love ya~
ps..take off the word verification...it's a pain to do:)
I can't even remember who was on that freshman squad! But you showed them-making varsity the next year!! :)
Thanks for the fun memory
Post a Comment