First of all, why oh why do triage nurses insist upon being complete (insert word here)?? Well, let me start from the beginning...
Poor Dylan woke up at 3 am last night, came into our room crying and then it happened, "blahhhhhhh," throw-up from here to Idaho. Whoa, I am now wide awake. I run into the bathroom just in time to catch the 2nd projectile vomit in the towel. Brandon is still lying in bed and I am yelling at him to GET UP AND HELP ME! MEN! (He really is awesome, but what can we all say for 3 am?).
We bring Dylan downstairs to get him cleaned up to find more puke all around his McQueen bed he has been sleeping on. OH. MY. GOSH.
An hour and 10 or so towels later, we have everything cleaned up, Dylan is just about back to sleep and hopefully all is well.
He wakes up this morning in an okay mood, but still won't eat anything. Tried toast...nope. How about a banana? No thank you. Abby enjoyed them though. Hmmm, well he needs to eat something. I think, "let's try some eggs. They are bland, right?? The vet says to give them to Abby when she is throwing up from eating who the heck knows what..." Jenn says, "Em, I don't know about eggs???" I say, "Oh, he will eat them and he needs food in his belly."
He ate all the eggs, but about an hour later as we are walking out the door, his belly responds with, "NO, YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO YOUR OLDER AND WISER SISTER JENN, I DON'T WANT EGGS!" More puke all over!!!
Okay, now I am becoming the worried mom and remember that Dr. Purdy said one sign of infection is vomiting. So of course I call the doctor right away. This is where Ms. I think I need to be totally rude to this poor mother who is just worried about her son and his amputated finger comes into the story.
First of all, I am so darn sick and tired of waiting on hold with doctor's offices. I would really like to know how much of my life has been wasted doing this in the past year and a half. That is a different post. But, after 20 minutes of hearing, "please stay on the line, there is (different voice comes on line) 1 caller ahead of you, I finally get connected with the nurse. Here is how the conversation went:
Her: Name? Date of birth? (No hello, how are you???)
Me: Dylan Stephens, (his date of birth but I don't want to publish that)
Her: What is the problem?
Me: Well, my son had his finger amputated on Monday and has been throwing up all night and twice this morning. I am concerned about the possibility of infection.
Her: Well, first of all, vomiting is not a sign of infection. (Can you sense her tone?)
Me: Well, my doctor said that it was and to call if there were any problems.
Her: Um, and if it was infected, you would see puss and redness and oozage coming from the wound.
Me: (I wanted to say....NO S*#!@ SHERLOCK! Sorry, I had to put that...) Well, since the cast in extremely thick and covers his whole arm, I can't see the wound so I would have no idea if there was oozage going on and if I could see that oozage was happening, I would have told you that and we would not be worrying about vomit. We would be worried about the fact that puss and redness made it all the way through the mile long cast.
Her: Um, do you have a regular pediatrician. It sounds to me like a stomach bug...you know things ARE going around. You don't want him to get dehydrated. And Dr. Purdy is out of town.
Me: Okay, well, why don't I just call my pediatrician and discuss this with him (and I should have inserted her..."since you are apparently of zero help to me and obviously I am just stupid and you just have somewhere else to be. I hate to bother you...")
Now, that is not verbatim, but close enough. Again, why oh why are triage nurses so dang rude? We have truly been blessed with the best of the best doctors and surgeons, but I tell ya, the nurses and office staff just need to go. I get so frustrated dealing with them. This is why my pediatrician's personal cell is on speed dial.
Anyway, luckily no more vomit through-out the day and he did eat a bit of applesauce and toast. Hopefully it was just a stomach thingy, but I am NEVER going to apologize for being an over-worried, ask a million questions, I want to speak with someone that cares, type of Mom. That's my job and I take pride in doing it well and if Ms. I think I need to be totally rude to this poor mother who is just worried about her son and his amputated finger , has a problem with that, then too darn bad. Next time she can deal with my sister Kim instead of me. : )
Thanks for listening to me vent and let's hope for a better tomorrow.
Friday, August 14, 2009
Okay...gotta vent....just a bit...
Posted by Stephens Family at 11:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





10 comments:
Ugh, I'm so sorry... how is he now?
That has got to be one of the most annoying things as a mom. Something similar happened to me {although not on the same level} when I brought Zack into a pediatrician to make sure his cough of 3 weeks wasn't something more serious. I was brushed aside like a fool for even thinking to have him checked. I was so close to giving that doctor an earfull. Instead, I've never been back to him.
Hope Dylan keeps getting better.
You know what I really think... I think you should leave your post just how it is, print it out and mail it to your Doctor's office. Find out who the HR person is and address it to them. That is horrible of her to act that way, NOT acceptable! So sorry I hope he feels better.
em actually left of the funniest part of this day. she was so upset with the nurse that she decided to "add her to the list" and if she ever saw her in public (keep in mind she has never seen her so she would have no way of knowing what she looked like or even knows her name) but if she ever sees her out and about she is going to kick her with heals on beacuse "do you know how bad that would hurt?" I promptly googled anger management classes and have her enrolled starting next week :)
Jenn
Ahh.. no fear. Kim is now here. The first thing on my list Monday morning is to hunt her down. She is on MY list now. That is much worse them Em's list. But... as family members are aware of, a good lawyer gets you out of most things. (Inside family joke) :)
You are so right about those nurses, they make you feel so stupid. Good for you. You did the right thing, the only thing that would have made it better is if you had said all the stuff you wanated to say.
Anyone who knows our family well knows that we have an aunt in prison for a crime I won't mention but the bottom line is, we have connections...so it's best not to mess with us! Em, after we get done kicking Melanie's bootie (which will involve running her over with a car and then kicking in the crotch with high heels on, we have it all planned out), Ms. I think I need to be totally rude to this poor mother who is just worried about her son and his amputated finger IS NEXT! Although actually, there may be a few people ahead of her! Yeah, anger management is probably a good thing (for me anyway). Ah, good times!!
Oh my gosh... Where have I been?!?! I had no idea about Dylan. It make me so sad/happy for him. :(
I made Brint read this post and we both said at the same time "what the (insert word)!!! haha I cannot believe that! I wish they would make their nurses going to customer service school before they are allowed to enter into the building and get the job! Seriously... my gosh!
Well dang I hope he feels better, but I work in the medical field and in a dr it is hard stressful work and not all nurses are like that. it is just how some people are. but I hope your cute boy is ok and sorry you had to go through that.
What a pain! I hope Dylan keeps getting better. He is seriously such a cute little guy. I always smile when I look at his pictures on your blog. I'm glad your sis is there to help. :)
Post a Comment