Okay folks, if you were following along, this past week's thought was this...
I OPEN NEW DOORS TO LIFE
* I rejoice in what I have, and know that fresh new experiences are always ahead.
* I greet the new with open arms.
* I trust life to be wonderful.
I love these little power thought cards. Really! They get my mind a thinkin'.
There really has been a lot of change in my life lately, as well as my sister's lives, that has been hard. It is new. It has required faith and trust. I know I often have a hard time greeting the new with open arms. I think we tend to get comfortable in what is familiar. Change can be hard, especially when it is unexpected. Trusting life to be wonderful...man, that is definitely a challenge. I know for me, I have a tendency to worry worry worry...I have a feeling I am not alone on that.
Really, as I thought about all of this during the week, I kept coming back to one thing...FAITH. It seems so easy, but most of the time can be so hard. I think the key (and I am saying this for my own sake since I really need reminding) is to remember things really do happen for a reason. There is a lesson to be learned in everything. We control how we see and react to a situation and can make what we want of it.
Dylan's accident was definitely one of those times where all I had was faith. I could not go on logic or reason, it was only by faith that we were able to cope. Even now, I think about his little finger. I am terrified. Really, I am. I know it is just a finger, but I hate the idea of having to cut it off. I can drive myself crazy thinking about how will he type, or how will he wear gloves. Will he get teased? Will her be able to swing a bat? I want to know the answers now...
I actually turned to the scriptures this week and found many things that really helped me. One thing I found was a little insert that I had. One that I actually didn't remember, but just so happened to come across it. It comes from Elder Packer and he tells us some unforgettable advice that he was given from Elder Lee.
"You must learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness; then the light will appear and show the way before you."
What an amazing lesson. I know that Dylan's future, or just our life for that matter, will require us to step into the darkness and wait for the light to show me the way. I think I need to see it all now. Unfortunately, I can't. That is why we have faith and trust.
My goal is to remember to greet it with open arms and to trust it to be okay. To try to remember to focus on today, and not stress too much about tomorrow.
I know I really want to focus on opening new doors and simply trusting life to be wonderful. I know I need to stop and think about the little wonderful things. I need to embrace the change and if it is hard, have faith and trust.
It is a working process...
Sunday, April 26, 2009
This Week's Thought...
Posted by Stephens Family at 11:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





10 comments:
We had a lesson similar to this topic yesterday in RS and it got me to thinking. The teacher was saying how some trials will have long lasting consequences & I think there are 2 ways to look at that. While one of Dylan's long lasting consequences will be his finger, one of the other consequences is also all of us strengthening our testimonies & relationships with Christ. Dylan's little finger may be a challenge for him at times, but it also may become a strength.
I love these power thoughts. Keep em coming!
I love these thoughts. I know I am not his mother, but I wouldn't have any doubts about dylan. He is going to be completely fine, a strong, solid boy, both physically and spiritually. He will hit homeruns and swing the golf club with as much energy and fervor as he embraces life now with. He's got lots of angels with him and they aren't going to let him fail! expect him to be great, em. he will be.
Thanks for this week's thought. If only I could incorporate it...
Hey..No problem with the name spelling. I'm so use to it I don't even notice anymore! I didn't even notice when you wrote it. It's funny how long we've known each other and how some of those little things just stick with you. I just read your Mom's memory blog, I loved it. So many of those memories mean something to me, too, because I remember. I can't imagine what you must think about every day you wake up and what things can trigger emotions, like swimming and seeing someone who looks or reminds you of your Mom. I'm sorry for your loss and wish you the best. Love, Cort
Oh man, just posted a long comment but it didn't post. Dang. I'll repost tomorrow. Gotta go to bed!
I love your thoughts, they really make me think! I was reading down below that it has been a year sense Dylan's accident. I got tears in my eyes. He has come so far. This has been such a rough year for you. Your thoughts and faith are an inspiration to me. Thanks so much for being you. I love ya Em!
Good -- positive -- hopeful -- loving. You are an inspiration to me. I love interacting with you Emily.
It was said last week in a RS lesson in my ward that it takes faith to have faith. I have thought about that so much. It is easy to say you have faith when all is well.
I have struggled so much lately with having faith. I too am just trying to take life by the day. So happy we all have each other! My sisters are such a source of strength to me!
One of my greatest lesson on faith came from Katie. She was talking to me once about some stressful things I was dealing with( the EX) and I told her that it's so hard to have faith that things w/ him will ever be okay. She told me that I needed to pray for more faith, I never forgot that.
Your little thoughts are just what we need. LUVVVV YA!!~
Oh, you are starting to learn. I remember thinking after you gave one of your first testimonies in our ward that I thought you were brave and I admired you for that. Bravery, Faith, and power thoughts are all related...we need all of those things to be saved, and they are great evidence of our humility and willingess to be taught and saved. I've witnessed many miracles as a result of your trials...Dylan will be fine. We miss you guys.
Post a Comment