I promised you I had my theme word for the year...didn't I! I guess I have been so busy focusing on my word, that blogging just hasn't been my top priority. It has not been in that moment. You'll get that in a second. Okay, here ya go...
SPIRITUALITY
My sister challenged everyone to come up with their theme word for 2009. What they wanted to live by. What they wanted to focus on. I loved the idea and starting thinking right away. I had some ideas going, but was having a hard time finding the exact word for what I felt was important for me to focus on this year. Then, completely randomly, I happened to be watching Oprah (which I truly NEVER do)...it was just on. I heard what they were talking about and went, YES, that is my word. Spirituality.
Now, for many of us (at least for me), you usually think of spirituality as religion. You are spiritual because you go to church every Sunday, or read your scriptures, or pray daily, or follow the doctrine of our Lord. That of course is part of it, but Oprah spoke of a new way to think of Spirituality. The connection that we have within ourselves and our spirit. Being in the moment and in tune with our internal promptings, feelings, intuition...truly connecting with our soul and spirit.
She had a woman on the show that wrote a book called Breaking Open. It was about people who go through a tragic experience and instead of breaking down, they break open and use the experience as a stepping stone and a way to connect to their inner spirit. Part of that is of course FAITH and trusting in a being higher than ourselves, for me, our Father in Heaven and our Lord Jesus Christ.
My focus has been to truly listen to my inner promptings at all times. To trust myself as a mother to make the right decisions for Dylan. To not overwhelm myself with the "what ifs" of his little finger and the decision that we have to make. To always be in the moment which is good for time management (I tend to get stressed about what I have to do tomorrow and let myself forget what needs done today). Being in the moment means I am not dwelling in the past and that I am open to my future and what it holds for our family. It helps me stay aware of the messages that my Mom may be sending to me. It helps me be a kinder, more compassionate person. It reminds me to take time to meditate and listen. It helps me focus on what my hardships are here to teach me and learn from them! It helps weak things become strong unto me as I humble myself...Ether 12:27 (my most favorite scripture!).
For me, spirituality is a working process and that is why I love it. It really pertains to all aspects of my life and everything that I do and that is important to me. : )
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
My WORD for 2009....
Posted by Stephens Family at 9:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
Very well said. You know I LOVE it! Love your word. I echo every part of your thoughts. I need to focus more on being in the moment.
LOVE you so much!!!!!!
Great theme, Emily. I'm still thinking of my word for 09.
Hey how did I miss that challenge? Which siser did it? I guess I better get thinking.....you picked a great word! I love you!
Sounds awesome it's a hard thing to stay in tune with the spirit soemthing we all need to work on. Thanks for the reminder :).
Good word Em! I think you're a lot more spiritual than you think. Love ya!
oh Emily, I love that! I had to look up your scripture and wow, I love it. Thank you for your post!
Post a Comment