Friday, October 31, 2008

I Believe in Miracles

For some reason, I feel really compelled to write this. Maybe just for my own sake of remembering...

The last time I was home, my Mom gave me this...



I am not sure where she got it or who may have made it for her (Jenn, maybe?) but she wanted me to have it. For years, this hung in the basement hallway next to a baby picture of me. She always said I was a miracle baby and now, Dylan was too. The story of me, as I remember my Mom telling it to me (and I am sure I will have some facts wrong, but this is how I remember it) is that my Mom got very sick while she was pregnant with me and was on bed rest for many months. It was her 6th pregnancy which is hard and then having to take care of 5 other little ones, as you can imagine, took a toll on her.

When she went into labor, things became progressively worse. The doctors told my Mom that I would not make it and that if she tried to deliver me, the chances were great that she would not make it either. Of course, my dear Mother had 5 other children at home to worry about. She told me many times about how my Dad and other priesthood members came and gave her a blessing. They blessed her and me that we would be okay and that she would deliver me and all would be well. I am not sure exactly what the complications were, but after a c-section, I graced this world in full health and my Mom was just fine. My Mother knew that I was a Miracle and the doctors agreed.

We all know that Dylan's accident could have been far worse. That he was surrounded by angels. My Mom said, from the very beginning, that Dylan, just like his Momma, was too a Miracle!!

I brought the precious moments hanging home many months ago and put it in Dylan's room right away. No it isn't boyish or doesn't match the decor, but it reminds me each day of the miracle that he is and now, it reminds me more of my Mom and what she went through to bring me into this world. I love you Mom and thank you for a wonderful memory and story.

8 comments:

Chy said...

Wheew! I'm a bawl baby thanks for sharing that. sheesh so much for a quick check of the blog, now I gotta pull it together. Its funny what things are important hindsight, what a special gift.

Amy said...

Well we I am sure glad you were a miracle. My life wouldn't have been the same without you in it. Dylan is a fighter and a cutie for sure hope he's feeling better and you all had a fun Halloween.

DIAZ BLOG said...

yes, Em, I did make this way back in high school. I used to do cross stitch a lot. I loved that mom hung them down the hallway. I also made her all the ones with our names! I am glad you have it!
Jenn

Kim Rose said...

Em... I remember when Mom was pregnant with you. What happened was the placenta had seperated from the uterine wall. I don't remember the official medical term for it.
Because it was torn from the wall, Mom had to stay in bed to keep from any movement. She could only get up to shower.
The RS took care of us. Of course, Dad had to work so they were coming and getting us ready for school, cleaning the house, preparing meals, etc.
That summer Natalie and Jen went to Arizona to stay at Grandma's for a month or so.
You were a miracle baby. I assume her body was just worn.

That cross stitch is so cute. Plus... Mom LOVED the Precious Moments dolls. LOVED them.

Love you!

The Flynn's said...

I miss mom so much Em! I really keep thinking and wishing this was all a bad dream. I feel like I'm going crazy. Glad you have that cross stitch!

The Halls said...

You are a miracle Emily! How sentimental and wonderful. It was so good to talk to you the other day...I just wanted to make sure you were okay and wanted to hear it for myself. You and your family are special to me and mine. I love to hear the memories you have of your Mom, some are ones that I know as well. Call me if you ever need anything or anyone to talk to, I'd love to listen. Cort

Sandi said...

I think it is boyish and perfect for Dylan's room. By the way I collect birth stories. I'm adding this one to my collections. Thanks.

Carling Family said...

I never heard that story. Wow I definately would not have been the same without you by my side in high school. That is so cool that you have that in Dylan's room. It has meaning for the both of you, that is so special.