When Teagan and Micheal were visiting us in Oregon, Teagan and I were getting groceries at Winco. If you don't know Winco, you need to know that you bag your own groceries there. Anyway, Teagan and I had just finished bagging our cart full of groceries and saw that behind us was an older man in one of those wheelchair carts. He was having a hard time getting his groceries onto the belt. Teagan and I looked at one another and without hesitation, we helped him put his groceries on the belt to be scanned. I then went to the bagging area and bagged them for him. The look on the man's face was unforgettable. He was nearly in tears and could hardly say the words, THANK YOU. The checker behind the counter looked at Teag and I and said, "Wow, that sure was nice of you. Really really nice!" Both Teag and and I didn't think that such a simple thing would get such a reaction, but it did. As we walked out of the store, Teagan looked at me and said, "That felt pretty good..." Yah, it did!
I was reminded of this story today in Relief Society as we sang the song, "Have I Done Any Good." I haven't sang that song in quite some time and had forgotten how much I liked it. It is definitely one of those Church Hymns that you know by heart and I think the reason for that is because of it's simplicity paired with it's importance. I love how simple the words are and how straight-forward the message is, and I truly believe it holds such an important lesson for a true Christian to follow. That we have a duty to help those in need, to cheer up the sad and make others feel glad.
Please know that I don't tell the story of mine and Teagan's opportunity to help the old gentlemen at Winco to sound boastful or to brag. I only write it as a reminder to ME that serving can be such a small act, but mean so very much. That the lesson can be learned on both sides. I know that those simple acts of kindness and "good" have meant so much to me these past couple of months and I am truly grateful that I am surrounded by such thoughtful people.
Today was definitely a reminder for me to watch more for those opportunities to serve, large or small, grandiose or simple. To always DO GOOD to those around me each and every day.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Have I Done Any Good?
Posted by Stephens Family at 10:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
This is such an awesome story. I love these stories. The problem is that we are shy about telling them. I am so glad you shared. I am watching for those stories. Thanks again.
I remember when we were yonger Dad had us sing that song and "Do your ears hang low" during family home evening. ha ha!
That is good story, we all need to be reminded to serve others. THANKS!!
What a great example you are to not just think about doing something nice but actually following through with it. We are going to be at the BSU Bowling Green game this weekend and in Oregon at the Ducks game next weekend. Are you guys going to either? Kev has decided since this is our Bro-in-laws last year we are spending all of his bonus money and going to 5 games. Fun but pricey! Let me know if you are going to any! Hope all is well.
See ya- Steph
So sorry...I just realized I had the same background as you....
Thank you for sharing. I also help out people on a regular basis - like you - it just comes natural.
What also helps me - is if I am having a borderline 'crabby day' - I get over it real quick when I see someone less fortunate than me especially when it comes to health. It puts me in my place - to see others in dire situations. When people ask me how I am doing I tell them in a cheerful tone - that I have nothing to complain about!
I have a great family - a wonderful husband - happy and healthy kids - a perfect grandson - and a loving granddog! LOL
Post a Comment